POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : build of povray 3.6.1 on Solaris 8 with Sun ONE Studio 11 fails : build of povray 3.6.1 on Solaris 8 with Sun ONE Studio 11 fails Server Time
13 Jun 2024 16:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  build of povray 3.6.1 on Solaris 8 with Sun ONE Studio 11 fails
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 9 Jun 2006 02:05:00
Message: <web.44890de17c275c36d0ea7c2a0@news.povray.org>
This has taken a LOT of hours.

Suffice it to say that the simple ./configure will not work unless one uses
the non-standard GNU revision of sed.  If I do not include a pile of GNU
tools and strictly stick with the tools in /usr/xpg4/bin and /usr/ccs/bin
then numerous things go wrong.  Looks like the build process is heavily
tied to Linux and GNUish things.

I get errors like :

configure.gnu: editing libtiff/Makefile sed: command garbled:
s,^tiffvers.h:.*,, ; s,${SRCDIR}/tiffvers.h,tiffvers.h,g

I solved that by building tiff-3.8.2 manually and I include the GNU things
in my PATH at the end then I can get past the configure step.

However the compile fails after a ghastly number of warnings :

CC  -O3   -L/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib  -o povray  svga.o unix.o
xwin.o ../source/libpovray.a ../source/base/libbase.a
..../source/frontend/libfrontend.a  -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng12 -lz -lXpm -lsocket
-lnsl  -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lm
int UNIX_allow_file_write(const char*,unsigned)
..../source/libpovray.a(pov_util.o)
int UNIX_allow_file_read(const char*,unsigned)
..../source/libpovray.a(pov_util.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to povray
gmake[2]: *** [povray] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/export/medusa/dclarke/build/povray/povray-3.6.1-sparc/unix'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/export/medusa/dclarke/build/povray/povray-3.6.1-sparc'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
$

Since this looks like the final linking stage I will assume that my
LD_OPTIONS did not get passed along.  The absent "int
UNIX_allow_file_write(const char*,unsigned) " must be in some library
somewhere.

I will try this manually with different directory paths in my -L and/or -R
options.

Dennis