POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : povray vs. DSL-N linux : Re: povray vs. DSL-N linux Server Time
1 Jun 2024 03:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs. DSL-N linux
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 23 May 2006 11:10:00
Message: <web.447324475a9de63d1bd1c060@news.povray.org>
"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I successfully installed DSL-N linux to a USB pen HDD drive.
>
> I then booted up DSL-N and tried to install povray.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Either with DSL or Puppy Linux.
I've got Puppy installed on my HD, but I don't really know that much about
it yet. Simply Mepis is my main Linux distro.

> I get some error messages, not of which all I could read. One of them is
>
> "mkdir: cannot create directory '/user/local/etc/povray': Read-only file
> system "

I hope you get this little problem worked out, Greg. Maybe Christoph H will
have some suggestions, too.

When running POV from the USB, I'd suggest using a temporary RAM file for
the scene file you're editing & the output image files. Flash drives are
great to read data from, but excessive writing will prematurely age them. I
believe DSL has features to help with this issue, IIRC.