POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : SciFi: Preview 01+: Imperial Carrier SENECA : Re: SciFi: Preview 01+: Imperial Carrier SENECA Server Time
3 Jul 2024 02:32:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SciFi: Preview 01+: Imperial Carrier SENECA
From: Tom York
Date: 22 May 2006 13:30:01
Message: <web.4471f3e2c90de8f47d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"How Camp" <hac### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Do the individual frames differ so drastically?  It looks like video
> compression issues, IMHO.

I agree that there are very strong video compression artefacts visible, but
I don't think they're all that's going on. The regions of elevated
brightness follow the hull, not the compression blocks, and they're very
soft features. If they're the result of radiosity associated with Sven's
window texture (which I think I read elsewhere had a high ambient value),
then these regions would naturally flicker because the radiosity sampling
would change from frame to frame (and those are very small features anyway,
so they'd require very good sampling indeed).

The background's brightness (not its distortion) flickers slightly but not
over lots of nearby compression blocks that I saw, which again suggests to
me a lighting issue, not a compression one.

On the other hand, I've never used or seen this particular codec before, so
I could easily be completely mistaken.

Tom