POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lens Design with POV ? : Re: Lens Design with POV ? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lens Design with POV ?
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 21 May 2006 09:00:00
Message: <web.447063cbd77f358a76ba2c900@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it Stephen who wrote:
> >Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

One of the first renders I ever did in DKBtrace was such a shape, but I did
it in wood, not glass, on a 30MHz Amiga. :)

> The lenses in eyeglasses tend to be more complicated than that. Most
> eyeglass prescriptions have a spherical and a cylindrical component, and
> some (like those for my mother who has one eye that doesn't point in
> quite the right direction due to a mild stroke) have a prism component.

A lens with spherical & cylindrical components is called a toric lens,
because it can be thought of as a section from the surface of a torus.

Many people require a toric prescription to correct for astigmatism, but I
wouldn't say it was a majority. I take orders for contact lenses for one of
the world-leading manufacturers, and we sell a lot of toric lenses
(especially after recent improvements in the technology), but most of the
orders are spheric lenses to correct for short-sightedness. Of course, the
story for spectacles could be different, but severe astigmatism is pretty
rare.

Why do spheric lenses work? Because sin(x) ~= x for small x.