POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Links Reorg : Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 15 May 2006 08:20:00
Message: <web.446871869790d3076c4803960@news.povray.org>
> An excellent idea!
>
> Another thought:  There are times when a particular discussion/question in
> "general" or "advanced" begs for an image to be presented *there*, to
> clarify the concepts being discussed.   Currently (as I understand it) such
> an image should instead be posted in  "binaries:images" ...which seems
> somewhat "out of place" to me (and necessitates cross-referencing in both
> categories--not to mention the possibility of follow-up discussions being
> split between both locations.)  "binaries:images" is, to my mind, a place
> for WIPS and finished work.  An image associated with a question should
> logically be consolidated into one post. I suppose what I'm getting at is a
> more open policy toward posting an image --when necessary -- in the
> "general" or "advanced" sections. This IS done every now and then, but I've
> always assumed the practice to be frowned upon. Clarifying or relaxing that
> policy would be helpful.

I believe the reason for this was to accomodate people with dial-up.  This
way they don't need to worry about long hitting long DL times when chacking
a text-only group.  I know a lot more people have high-speed these days, but
I'm sure there are still some out there using dial-up, so I'm not sure if
this is a good idea for that reason.

-tgq