POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Smooth blending of two or more materials via bitmap mask(s) : Smooth blending of two or more materials via bitmap mask(s) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth blending of two or more materials via bitmap mask(s)
From: motorsep
Date: 6 May 2006 13:00:01
Message: <web.445cd5308ae347bc1effc9720@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I am relatively new to Povray. Usually I model in Blender and then render
with Povray via Blend2Pov.
Basically what I am trying to do is to create nice looking rust material.
Let's say I have base metal material, displacement image (lettering that has
to be embossed) and 3 layers of rust. All of that has to be blended together
via image masks I am going to create in GIMP.
I have tried to experiment with material maps, but I get really weird
results :(
I don't get smooth transition between materials.

Here is a mask:

http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/5996/mask1cs.jpg

And here is a result:

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/6500/matmaptest2vs.jpg

Can somebody help me and explain how to get smooth transaction between
materials please?