POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Input file size restrictions?? : Re: Input file size restrictions?? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Input file size restrictions??
From: space cadet
Date: 5 May 2006 15:00:00
Message: <web.445b9fcfbace7ee8339b0050@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > means. But ultimately, it reports an error internal to the compiler. Its
> > using gcc and g++.
>
>  For the sake of getting a better gcc (in case that matters on the
> Itanium...) I'd suggest you follow the error message and file a bug report.
>
>  In any case I recommand you to use the Intel C++ Compiler to build
> anything on that platform.  It is available for free on Linux -- but I
> never bothered downloading / testing the version for IA-64.  You can get
> it at  https://premier.intel.com  which requires registration in order to
> get an end-user license.  (Maybe your institution already has ICPC installed
> though: check either "icc -V" or "icpc -V").
>  Configuring and building POV should then just be a matter of doing:
>
> ./configure COMPILED_BY=you --disable-optimiz CXX=icpc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -ip"
>
>  This is for a start.  In case of trouble I'd be glad to help you
> further on.  Followup-To p.unix.
>
>  - NC

Thanks NC.  icpc is not currently on our altix here.  I downloaded it. I
dont have root on that machine, so I looked into a local install, but that
introduces some issues, so I'm trying to get admin to install it system
wide (which should be done anyway).  So it might be a few days before that
gets done (I work at nasa->gov't environment->slower turning wheels), so
I'll resume the discussion at that time.

Other than that, you requested I attempt MegaPOV on that machine, and report
results.  I actually avoided the bz2 stuff, and just downloaded the tar
file. But trying to 'tar xvf' it on the altix, it reported "doesnt seem to
be a tar file".  So I dont know if there's already a platform
incompatibility at the file format level or what.  But I didnt wrestle with
it any further, since it was a long shot to begin with.

I'll let you know how things go with the home build (over on the p.unix
forum).

Thanks again.