POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Input file size restrictions?? : Re: Input file size restrictions?? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Input file size restrictions??
From: Tom York
Date: 4 May 2006 15:20:00
Message: <web.445a5375bace7ee7d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> This might well be the issue, indeed.  Another one is that there is
> some weirdness about memory allocation under Linux in general.  Although
> POV-Ray for Linux, as WinPOV, always checks whether it can allocate memory
> or not, it seems there is no chance for the software to report when it
> cannot allocate memory under Linux: it just gets killed by the OS instead.
> I've been experiencing such an odd behaviour for quite some time with other
> applications as well, so I believe this is not a problem specific to POV
> for Linux.  Yet this will be investigated.

It's not a POV-specific problem, as I understand it. See (under the heading
"Moral #2")

http://www.gotw.ca/publications/mill16.htm

According to Sutter, memory allocation under linux (and some other operating
systems) never fails at the call to "new" (or whatever). Apparently the idea
is that applications may not ever use all the memory they asked for, so
requested memory is not actually committed to your application until you
actually use it. It doesn't sound like something an application can change
easily.