POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Input file size restrictions?? : Input file size restrictions?? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Input file size restrictions??
From: space cadet
Date: 3 May 2006 16:30:01
Message: <web.445911c71f142e798339b0050@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm trying to render a massively large data set with povray 3.6 for linux.
The dataset comes as a povray export from Ensight. The file size is around
500MB (for starters, I need to render a 2.5GB dataset too)

Anyway, povray fails suspiciously on this input file.  It parses tokens for
about 13 minutes, and then exits gracefully without rendering anything. It
reaches around 135 million tokens parsed, stalls, then exits. No image file
is written, no core is dumped. Stats listed show 0 minutes 0 seconds for
parse time but 13+ minutes for render time (in spite of the fact that it
was ALL parsing and NO rendering). No errors are reported at all. It just
quits, silently.

Is there a limit to how big the .pov file can be? (it does render an image
successfully on a smaller data set, also exported by ensight) Actually, I
broke the Ensight export into smaller files since I needed to edit them and
no text editor would accept a file that big.  So I split the file into
segments, and then included them in a parent pov file. ie:

#version 3.5;

#include "test2_aa"
#include "test2_ab"
#include "test2_ac"
#include "test2_ad"
#include "test2_ae"
#include "test2_af"
#include "test2_ag"
#include "test2_ah"
#include "test2_ai"
#include "test2_aj"
#include "test2_ak"
#include "test2_al"
#include "test2_am"

where each "test2_xx" file is a split of the original pov file.

So whats going on here?  I originally thought the machine I was using ran
out of memory, but now I'm running on a machine with 28GB of RAM, so thats
not the issue. Is there simply a limit on how large the input file can be?
Or is this include file scheme flawed somehow?

Any ideas? I'm really stuck up a creek here.

Thanks.