POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray.org links : Re: povray.org links Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:19:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.org links
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 3 May 2006 10:45:00
Message: <web.4458c1685f8b60001bd1c060@news.povray.org>
> PM 2Ring wrote:
> > I think multiple categories would be very useful. You could split things up
> > into beginner, general and advanced; still and anim; pure POV and scenes
> > that require external programs. Etc.
>
> I would strongly recommend to first update the links, rather than start two
> things at once (update and reorganization). As it stands, updating itself is
> a lot of work.

Certainly we should update the links first, that is the priority. But I
think Chris Cason was just talking about setting things up at the outset to
allow for multiple categories. I agree there is no need to worry about the
organization of the links until they've all been checked and we know what
we've actually got.

Still, during the process of manually checking links, we could take some
notes about the link, even if this is just a short list of keywords.

FWIW, I haven't looked at the links page for a while, but the last time I
did it was so frustrating. Maybe the links page should have a big "Warning:
Under Reconstruction: most links out of date" notice on it?

I bet a lot of new users go to the links page before they discover these
newsgroups, and get the idea that they won't be getting very much that's
useful from the POV site, apart from the program itself. I was using POV
for years before I bothered checking in here (to my pleasant surprise).