POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray.org links : Re: povray.org links Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.org links
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 3 May 2006 10:00:01
Message: <web.4458b6075f8b60001bd1c060@news.povray.org>
> Chris B wrote:
> > it would be easiest to work with a big machine-readable text file
>
> Fastest way to get this into your hands would be to dump it from the DB
> usingg phpMyAdmin. I can export as SQL, CSV or XML. Are any of these useful
> to you ?

I guess it depends how many people are going to help check the links.
Everyone can read CSV, and XML is pretty easy to parse. I don't know SQL
(yet :).

> NB note that there are two tables; one for categories and one for the links
> themselves. The links refer to the category by ID. I would be open to
> modifying the DB to allow a link to be in multiple categories if this was useful.

I think multiple categories would be very useful. You could split things up
into beginner, general and advanced; still and anim; pure POV and scenes
that require external programs. Etc.

PS. I'm prepared to donate time manually checking out links. I'm also not
averse to writing file conversion utilities in awk, if that's any use in
this task. I know nothing about SQL or php, but I'm ok with HTML &
Javascript.