POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : using a .jpeg as a texture : Re: using a .jpeg as a texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using a .jpeg as a texture
From: PM 2Ring
Date: 28 Apr 2006 02:30:01
Message: <web.4451b5372b743d3e76ba2c900@news.povray.org>
"mine" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I want to use a .jpeg format picture as a texture, how do I do it?

If you just want to 'paint' the jpeg image onto a surface, use image_map.
But if (as I suspect) you want to sort-of 'carve' the jpeg into your object
to create a textured surface, then you want to use bump_map. In the 3.6
docs, see '3.5.1.5  Image Maps' and '3.5.2.3  Bump Maps'. Or look at the
online docs.

I know the docs are big, but you really do have to read them to know what
POV can do for you. :)

For an example of a bump_map picture I did see

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3Cweb.42556d981db933923d6ca37a0%40news.povray.org%3E/earthk1.
png

Check out the rest of the "Blue Marble" thread for code & other examples
that use image maps.