POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Displacement via Isosurface : Re: Displacement via Isosurface Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Displacement via Isosurface
From: McHannemann
Date: 15 Apr 2006 01:25:00
Message: <web.444082f9d9d74d17ccef821a0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> > >The only way I can think of is to use the object pattern.
> > >f/ex.
>
> > That technique comes top of the list in the "Things That Don't Work"
> > section in my isosurface tutorial.
> > http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/dont.htm
>
>   If objects had a proximity function, ie. a function which tells from
> a point its closest distance to the surface of the object, it would then
> be possible.
>
>   A fast proximity function would indeed be the holy grail of raytracing.
> Unfortunately no such thing is known to exist in the generic case (special
> cases for certain primitives can naturally be made, but there's no
> generic solution which would work with all objects).
>
>   An approximating generic proximity function could be made by using a
> sampling algorithm, but this is really slow, especially if the function
> is then used in a (perturbed) isosurface.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

ok....grrr
so how do I displace then the mesh?
If I would import the mesh with displacement as polys
I would have 2.5 mil polys only for that......
is there any other option???
Displacement on Meshes is a very important feature to me,
so maybe there can be something done about it,
even the old renderman engines are able to get along with it.
REgards,
THor