POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sponza radiosity competition : Sponza radiosity competition Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:35 EDT (-0400)
  Sponza radiosity competition
From: lakcaj
Date: 11 Apr 2006 17:30:01
Message: <web.443c1e4be2cf37df182ea82f0@news.povray.org>
Hi.  First post to this newsgroup.  I'm constantly impressed with povray, so
I wanted to see what I could produce for the sponza radiosity challenge
found here:

http://hdri.cgtechniques.com/~sponza/

I've downloaded the megapov file contained on that site, and made some
changes to it:

1.  Set all ambient values for materials to 0.0
2.  Changed the camera posn to that of a maxwell render which I'm using as a
reference
3.  Altered the posn of the sun light and its intensity
4.  Multiplied the normal bump_size by a factor of 10 - which doesn't appear
to affect the render
5.  Added an .ini file and IndoorLQ radiosity
6.  I've also added "normal on" in rad_def.inc

However, my render still looks flat and imho lacks contrast.  Here is my
result:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1516/test4vv.png

Here is the maxwell render I'm trying to imitate:

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9802/sponzapalace1ac.jpg

I think the noise in the maxwell render adds alot to its realism.  I've
tarred up the entire scene with all my changes in it, which can be found
here.  I simply execute "megapov test.ini"

http://jsnake.googlepages.com/sponza_megapov.tar.gz

I have no doubt that povray can produce a render which looks very similar to
the maxwell render, I'm just not quite sure how to go about it :)