POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cannot open png file : Re: cannot open png file Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cannot open png file
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Apr 2006 20:00:01
Message: <web.4436fcdef7526d8d4c365a620@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> > Problem #1: Using POV for Windows (which has .bmp as a default output
> > format), I can't specify  image_map{bmp "my_image.bmp"}  because it
> > generates an error mesage: "undeclared identifier 'bmp' found."
>
>   That's because there's no 'bmp' identifier. Read the documentation more
> carefully. (In this case the identifier is 'sys'.)
>
> > So I have
> > to specify it this way:  image_map {"my_image.bmp"}. Rather odd.
>
>   Well, if it works, what's the problem?

Well, it goes against what the docs says about having to specify the image
file type before the "my_image.bmp" phrase. I don't see any caveat or
exception mentioned there, so perhaps there should be one...OR an actual
bmp identifier (which would be more logical and self-consistent than
leaving it out altogether or using "sys".)

Ken