POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cannot open png file : Re: cannot open png file Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cannot open png file
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Apr 2006 19:35:01
Message: <web.4436f6a8f7526d8d8ad7a9060@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > "cpmac" <web### [at] cpmaccom> wrote:

> > No, you can mix any valid input filetype with any valid output type, they
> > are independent of each other.
>
> Sorry, if the image_map type is NOT specified, then POV does expect the same
> type as set for output (3.5.1.5.1  Specifying an Image Map).  However, you
> can use ay allowable type as long as you explicitly specify the type (which
> is a good habit to get into so you don't run into these types of problems)
> -tgq

Actually, there do seem to be a couple of odd problems here; I've come
across them myself.  At least when using the INI file for setting output
options.

Problem #1: Using POV for Windows (which has .bmp as a default output
format), I can't specify  image_map{bmp "my_image.bmp"}  because it
generates an error mesage: "undeclared identifier 'bmp' found." So I have
to specify it this way:  image_map {"my_image.bmp"}. Rather odd.

Problem #2: If I switch the output file format to .png in the INI file (by
using Output_File_Type=N), then NO version of a .bmp image_map works--the
error message is then, "Cannot read PNG image." Even though the image_map
*isn't* a .png image.

This happens no matter what the Script I/O Options are set to.

Any clue what's going on?

Ken