POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: variable debugging : Re: variable debugging Server Time
2 Aug 2024 04:17:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: variable debugging
From: WellenZillich
Date: 7 Apr 2006 05:50:01
Message: <web.44362d4edf4823a2292a70ad0@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> WellenZillich wrote:
> > Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote
> > Umm. What did this have to do with adding line breaks to the output?

SORRY, just4Linux: Replace "n" with "\n": So

   xterm -T DEBUGWINDOW -e tail -f ./DEBUG.txt &
   povray +GD./DEBUG.txt ./INPUT.pov

Lines in INPUT.pov like e.g.:
   #debug concat( "\nHUHU: Linebreak after two:", "one,"two","\n","three")
   will produce output in DEBUGWINDOW.

Does work for pov3.6 at least on SuSE9.0, most likely every Linux

> this thread is more than a couple months old, by now... I'm a bit confused by this?
?Not OK?

> Is this a platform-specific way to output debug statements with line breaks?
> I actually use POV-Ray under windows, and had assumed that pov worked
> pretty much the same across all platforms.
Yes, Linux-platform-specific, on Microsoft "\r\n" may work. XTERM is s.th.
in
linux like CONSOLE in windows. Not to be said here by me what I'm using
because nobody does so? And "Pretty much", but there is no unity about what
unprintables should cause the linebreak

Best regards: WellenZillich