POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cannot open png file : Re: cannot open png file Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cannot open png file
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 6 Apr 2006 09:10:00
Message: <web.4435121ef7526d8d6c4803960@news.povray.org>
"cpmac" <web### [at] cpmaccom> wrote:
> From my trials and errors I seems to me that the image map format must be
> the same as the set output format. In the standard setting of BMP output
> the script wouldn't work with a png, but with +FN in the control box, the
> png file was read and the output was a png file.

No, you can mix any valid input filetype with any valid output type, they
are independent of each other.  Just make sure that the image_map
declaration and the POV settings are formatted so that POV can locate the
image file. See:
"3.1.2.5.4  Library Paths" & "1.2.7  I/O Restrictions"

The image file either needs to be 1)in the current.pov file working
directory, 2) in the .ini file library paths, or 3) set explicitly in the
image_map declaration.
Along with this, you need to make sure that your I/O restrictions allow for
the declaration method you used.

I personally like to store all macros, images, includes etc. in specific
library directories and have these specified in the .ini library paths.

-tgq