POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : drawing a grid on playing board : Re: drawing a grid on playing board Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: drawing a grid on playing board
From: Tim
Date: 1 Apr 2006 16:35:01
Message: <web.442ef113bdfec3f339c1f1d20@news.povray.org>
"lifesayko" <lif### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to raytracing, and I'm trying to make a WeiQi set, more commonly
> known as "go": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_%28board_game%29
>    For the board I need to make a 19x19 grid on top of it, and I was
> wondering how I could do this.
> I thought of making rectangles with very very low height, but this seems
> more of a loophole...  is there a way to have have it "drawn" onto the
> board, other than creating a texture somehow and putting that on? (would
> that even work?)
>
> thanks in advance

Hi lifesyko,

I'm new to raytracing too (read "under a week old") and my 13yrs background
in photography and 12yrs writing software for banks is proving useful.
Although I'm new I think I can answer your question.

According to the documentation the "checker pattern is actually uses a
series of cubes one unit in size."  So I wouldn't call your soloution a
loophole and probably the best soloution as I don't believe the checker
pattern allows the flexibility you would need.  I guess you could also use
triangles but as these are planes may cause problems if you ever need to
use csg.

Hope that's of use, but bear in mind I'm as new to raytracing if not newer
than yourself!  :D  And I hope you don't mind if I take the liberty to say
hello to everyone as this is my first post on these boards!

Best of luck,
Tim