POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Question : Re: POVRay Question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Question
From: Kenneth
Date: 1 Apr 2006 07:00:01
Message: <web.442e6a423ce9a4daa157b8750@news.povray.org>
"Quartz" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> The light shining from the lightning flash into the room looks sharp white,
> except on a green book I have on a table in front of the window. On the
> book, it looks yellow, which lightning does not do.

When light sources are made extra-bright, the colors of objects can get a
bit...strange. The individual RGB color values start saturating, the final
result depending on the individual color components.  A (very simple)
example would be an object with a color like <.2,1,.4>, lit by a light
source of, say, <1,1,1>*3.  Depending on the ambient and diffuse values in
the object's texture, what that does to the object's color is, very
roughly, like this: <3*.2, 3*1,3*.4>, or <.6,3,1.2>.  Since an individual
RGB color component can't be "brighter than 1" (full brightness), the
result is really <.6,1,1>--not the color you started out with.

Ken