POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Question : POVRay Question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay Question
From: Quartz
Date: 30 Mar 2006 11:45:00
Message: <web.442c0a2541c1995dfd52120@news.povray.org>
Hello, everyone. I've been using POVRay for 5-10 of the 13 years that I've
lived now, and I ran into a great buttress of a problem with the scene I've
been recently working on. This problem is so unusual that I'm now executing
what I had earlier held as a last resort: registering here on the newsgroup
to ask you people (Don't worry, it's nothing personal. ;-) ).

Here's my problem. I have the camera in a dark room, facing a window. I need
heavy rain on the outside of the window, and a lightning flash shining in
through the window.

I tried an excessively bright point light outside the window for the
lightning, and I tried reflection with a bozo normal _on_ the window for
the rain, but those both take it in the entirely wrong direction. I sifted
through the tenuousness of Google searches already, but I uncovered nothing
save Chambers' dandelion
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C43fe52d0@news.povray.org%3E/).
The problems with following how Chambers
accidentally made it look like rain on the window are various:
 1): His looked like light rain, not heavy rain.
 2): His window was at a tight angle, and mine is straight on. I imagine
that would make a difference.
 3): He has things outside the window in the background, whereas I have
nothing but the lightning flash.

Can any of you help me figure out how to go about this?