POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Giving thickness to plane surfaces - is it possible : Giving thickness to plane surfaces - is it possible Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Giving thickness to plane surfaces - is it possible
From: yatdave
Date: 27 Mar 2006 23:05:01
Message: <web.4428b531cc6d48184a366980@news.povray.org>
Is there a way to go about giving thickness to plane surfaces?  I've got a
model in which a bunch of steel plates are modelled as planar surfaces with
no thickness.  In reality, these steel plates can be an inch or so thick.
I'd like to be able to render the sides of these plates, but am not able to
model them explicitly.  I know in the world of RenderMan, there are
diplacement shaders that can be used to vary the elevations of polygon
surfaces.  Is there something analogous in POVRay?  Is there some other way
I can basically extrude these surfaces?  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.