POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Interface artefacts in merging transparent isosurface objects : Interface artefacts in merging transparent isosurface objects Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Interface artefacts in merging transparent isosurface objects
From: Timm
Date: 25 Mar 2006 18:00:01
Message: <web.4425cb51a1751a98f08358cb0@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody,

I am new in using povray. Yet, I would like to use transparent isosurface
objects with some absorption. In order to form the object I want I need to
merge different isosurface objects.
Now it happens always that the interface is still visible between two object
that touch each other in a plane. But these internal interfaces should be
removed by using merge, should'nt they?
Letting the two objects overlap (and not just touch) does not improve the
outcome.
Are there some parameters or settings that I am not aware of which can help?
Or is my approach unsuitable (see code below)?

Thanks for any help,

Timm.

This is the code I used:

#include "colors.inc"
#include "stones.inc"
global_settings { max_trace_level 100 }
global_settings { max_intersections 100 }
background { color White }
light_source { <3,10,-5> color White }
camera {
  location <3,4,-7>
  look_at <0,2,0>
}
#declare myTexture = texture {
 pigment { Gold filter 1 }
   finish {
      ambient 0.2
      diffuse 0.4
      reflection 0.05
      specular 0.5
      roughness .02
   }
}
#declare myInterior = interior {
  media { absorption 0.7}
}

sphere {
       <0,4,3>,0.5
       texture { T_Stone25 pigment { color Blue }
              finish { phong 1 } }
}
sphere {
       <3.5,1.5,8>,0.5
       texture { T_Stone25 pigment { color Green }
              finish { phong 1 } }
}
sphere {
      <1,1,1>,1.2
       texture { T_Stone25 pigment { color Red }
              finish { phong 1 } }
}
merge {
  isosurface {
  function { max(-1/8*(x-5)*(x-5)+y,-y-1) }
  contained_by { box {<1,0,-1>,<4,2,10> } }
  threshold 0
  max_gradient 2
  }
  isosurface {
  function { max(-3+x+y,-y-1) }
  contained_by { box {<1,0,-1>,<-2,5,4> } }
  threshold 0
  max_gradient 2
  }
  hollow