POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Texturing landscapes : Texturing landscapes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:00 EDT (-0400)
  Texturing landscapes
From: Kjetil
Date: 12 Mar 2006 12:10:01
Message: <web.441455ba603a88ba1b09fc810@news.povray.org>
Hi there.

I am trying to create an image with an (ant)arctic-looking landscape - much
like Christoph Hormann's image here:
http://www.imagico.de/pov/pict/frozen_island.jpg.

However, I just cannot work out how to get the texturing right.

My height field is created using a "f_ridged_mf" function, and I have tried
using a texture consisting of a slope texture map of snow and rock. The
effect is far from what I am after -

The main problem appears to be that the "slope" keyword is too "dependent"
on altitude. Whereas Christoph's image above has snow / rock together at a
range of altitudes, I get a very clear "cutoff point" with snow below and
rock below.

If anyone have any pointers to this, or know of any tutorials on how to
texture landscapes in general, I am very grateful.

Thanks in advance!