POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Custom povray scene file reader (parse.cpp + tokenize.cpp) : Re: Custom povray scene file reader (parse.cpp + tokenize.cpp) Server Time
9 Jun 2024 01:55:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Custom povray scene file reader (parse.cpp + tokenize.cpp)
From: human 2 0
Date: 5 Mar 2006 16:50:00
Message: <web.440b5ca9b23fe0fa674c36620@news.povray.org>
> human_2.0 wrote:
> >
> > I wont be converting everything in fact, certainly no variables or
> > expressions!  And I was actually not converting to another language, but
> > rather to commands to send to modo to create the same objects (boxes,
> > spheres, etc), or named macros (of objects) and implement them again for
> > modo.
>
> That's not the point - you won't even be able to convert a simple scene:
>
> #declare fn_rad=
>    function {
>      pattern { granite }
>    }
>
> #declare Obj=box{-1,1}
> #declare Norm=<0,0,0>;
> #declare Start=<1.5,2,1>;
> #declare Pos=trace(Obj, Start, -Start, Norm );
>
> sphere { Pos, fn_rad(Pos.x, Pos.y, Pos.z) }

True, except the files I want to convert are include files and use nothing
but objects and unions.  They return objects which are then translated and
rotated to the correct position in the scene.  I'm already parsing
simplifed versions of the include files, but obviously my parser isn't
strong enough for the actual syntax posibilities.

Anyway, it isn't that I don't like POV-Ray.  It is just that I've tried to
do some animated robot IK and the math is too much, so I'm whimping out and
I'm going to do that stuff in a GUI modeler (I'm on Mac and I don't believe
there is anything I can use to make my POV-Ray IK easier, and I really want
motion blur, and I know MegaPOV has it, but it doesn't work for my include
files, and I know about Targa averager, but I want something perhaps more
smooth for quick camera jerks or fast object movement).  I'm not going to
quit using POV-Ray either anyway.