POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wouldn't it be nice: patterns and finish items : Re: Wouldn't it be nice: patterns and finish items Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wouldn't it be nice: patterns and finish items
From: Roman Reiner
Date: 28 Feb 2006 18:20:01
Message: <web.4404d936783b11fa9bdecb60@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> While normals and pigments can be represented with a short vector
> (pigments have 5 values, normals have three), finish statements involve
> a larger number of data (ambient, diffuse, phong (and its associated
> specs), specular (with roughness), brightness, metallic, etc).  That
> shouldn't be a show-stopper from a programming viewpoint.
>
> Maybe this is planned for V4,maybe not.
>
> Of course, if you download the latest sources and code up a working
> version, I'm sure the development team will at least read it.
>
> Regards,
> John

Sure. I thought of a pattern definition for those finish items not for the
whole finish block. apart from reflection and irid all those items are
defined by only one single float or vector. i thought for example of
something like

finish {
  reflection {
    wrinkles
    reflection_map {
    }
  }
}

instead of just a float value.
i'm not very well versed in povray programming but i guess this should not
be very difficult or even impossible. do you think it would be worth the
effort?

Regards Roman