POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : asymmetric viewing frustum in pov-ray? stereo images? possible? : Re: asymmetric viewing frustum in pov-ray? stereo images? possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: asymmetric viewing frustum in pov-ray? stereo images? possible?
From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Feb 2006 04:25:01
Message: <web.43fd7e1f5a048d14a416ed930@news.povray.org>
"djzielin" <djz### [at] dukeedu> wrote:
> ... you can do 'toe in' stereo with two regular camera as
> several posts have alluded to, but would leave parallax effects and not
> technically be correct stereo. Here is a link describing toe in vs
> asymmetric stereo.
> http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/opengl/stereogl/

Thanks for posting this link.  In all the years that I've been making
amateur stereo images (whether using a single camera to take two images, or
using a computer graphics app to create them) I've always grappled with this
idea of "toe in" vs. "asymmetric" viewing-- without knowing what it was all
about! From experience (using both techniques), I finally settled on the
latter approach, but never knew *why* it produced more pleasing results.
Now I do.

Ken