POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Pre-alpha of POV-Ray Glaphic Cluster Rendering toolkit : Pre-alpha of POV-Ray Glaphic Cluster Rendering toolkit Server Time
28 Apr 2024 18:26:21 EDT (-0400)
  Pre-alpha of POV-Ray Glaphic Cluster Rendering toolkit
From: Marvin
Date: 14 Feb 2006 10:45:00
Message: <web.43f1f99ef3793f053f8cf8140@news.povray.org>
Please join the testing community for GRC 0.01.03.00!!!!

The link to access latest source is
http://www.grf.hr/~mtodorov/grc-latest.tar.gz

The toolkit is in pre-alpha testing stage and GPL-ed.

Some characteristics:

- it is written in C++, although few C++ - specific features are used.
  it shouldn't be hard to backport it to plain C

- synchronous multiplexing is used to switch tasks between servers. This
  should not be problem on fast (100 Mbit) networks. If it is, tell me
  where you see the bottleneck and I will try to isolate it

- it is FAULT-TOLERANT: if some servers or even most of them go down
  in the midst of POV-Ray animation rendering, the GRC toolkit will
  simply reassign animation frame to other render server

- it compiles and runs on Intel, G4, G5 under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows
  under Cygwin (tested)

- it runs on Windows, Linux and Mac render servers simultaneously (tested).
  up to 16 render servers are supported.

- on Windows, Cygwin development platform is required (www.cygwin.com),
  which is free and Open Source

- on Mac OS X, development Xcode toolkit is required, which offers gcc
  compiler.
  Any other gcc-compatible compiler should do - please inform me if it
  doesn't, so I could fix the source

- POV-Ray CLI version for UNIX will have to be compiled and/or installed
  on every render server.

Please inform me on every problem you face using GRC toolkit. (Suggestions
for a better name are accepted of course :-) ...) You will be credited.

Best regards,
Marvin