POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : slope pattern bug? : Re: slope pattern bug? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:34:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slope pattern bug?
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Jan 2006 04:10:00
Message: <web.43cf56b1e7742b91dbcfc3c90@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I didn't mean this was an actual mistake in the docs.  The docs makes sense
> if you remember that they are using <0,-1,0>.  If you assume (as I did the
> first time I went through) that "up" is <0,1,0>, then the docs seem wrong.
> Hope I didn't confuse you any more than necessary...

Thanks.  What a relief! ;-)

Yeah, I had to reorient my own thinking about "slopes" when I first read the
slope pattern docs. My school math classes all those years ago drilled into
me that a slope of 0 was, so to speak,  "horizontal", and a slope of +1 was
45-deg. upward. (And a slope approaching vertical had a value approaching
infinity!) Yet it makes sense why POV treats "slope" differently, confining
its value between 0 and 1 to represent object normals varying between +1
and -1.  (You math folks, please correct me if I'm out of my depth here.) I
guess the only really "confusing" thing is that the slope pattern is called
that...though I can't think of a more appropriate term.

Ken