POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange Behavior of Spline_Trans (or so it seems to me) : Strange Behavior of Spline_Trans (or so it seems to me) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Strange Behavior of Spline_Trans (or so it seems to me)
From: Dave Matthews
Date: 14 Jan 2006 13:50:00
Message: <web.43c944d83d078f218c7259570@news.povray.org>

#declare Arrows2 = union {
#declare Num = 3000;
#declare K = 0;
#while (K < Num )
cylinder {<0.5,0,0>, <1,0,0>, 0.05
rotate <0,360*32*K/Num, 0>
Spline_Trans(KNOT_SplineC, K/Num, y, 0.000001, 0.00001)
pigment { color rgb <0.2,0.8,0.3>  } finish {KFIN} }
#declare K = K + 1;
#end
}

That I get an error is not strange, since I make parse errors all the time.
The strange part is that if I reduce "Num" to 1221 or smaller the error
goes away.  At 1222 or greater the error returns.  Or, on the other hand,
if I leave "Num" at 3000 and get rid of the "rotate" the error goes away.
But if I even include "rotate <0, 0, 0>" the error returns.
Or, if, instead of using Spline_Trans, I just translate along the spline
(leaving "Num" at 3000, and leaving the rotation in), the error goes away.
So I don't think there's anything wrong with my spline (it's a big ugly one
I imported from KnotPlot), and I can't figure why the "rotate" before
orienting via Spline_Trans works for larger increments, but not smaller
ones....  Also, changing the last two parameters on Spline_Trans seems to
have no effect on the error.

Any ideas?