POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : re-texturing only part of an object? : Re: re-texturing only part of an object? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: re-texturing only part of an object?
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Jan 2006 02:00:05
Message: <web.43c4ab9edf8284dce06d11910@news.povray.org>
"Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> When I read your post I assumed by "tracing on some snow objects" you meant
> using trace to find the top surface of the letters and cover it in some
> kind of fluffy looking snow flakes.

yes yes.

> If that's the case, you could always
> shoot it with a grid of "trace" and create a form fitting mesh.  Might be a
> bit brute force, but hey....

Not familiar with that technique, or what it would end up looking like.
Would very much like to know how that's done! As-is, the traced snowflake
blobs look...decent...though not great. Still experimenting with specular
and roughness settings, to get that "snow glint." Even came up with a
somewhat simple "snow layering" trick to build up random thickness ( by
tracing on one layer of union-ed snow objects--then union-ing that WITH the
letters--then going back and tracing another layer onto that combo,
union-ing it all again, etc.) A faster technique than it sounds.

> Or.... Maybe just translate the letters down some tiny amount to make your
> cutting object.  Then manuallly add some boxes to the cutting object to get
> the bits that remain.

That's what I ended up doing. Lotsa work, as you can imagine. But made
easier by the flat lettering surfaces.

Actually, I found that with enough snow blobs, the lettering tops didn't
need painting after all!  Go figure...

Ken