POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion : Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:35:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Jan 2006 01:30:00
Message: <web.43c4a4bd42019f40e06d11910@news.povray.org>
Christian Walther <cwa### [at] gmxch> wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:

> > Well, I had begun to think that different versions of POV (on different
> > platforms) might be producing images differently, gamma-wise--leading to
> > wildly opposite viewpoints such as we have.  Although there may be
> > something to that (don't really know, but I'm guessing not), I've put aside
> > that line of thought for the time being.
>
> There's no reason for such an assumption - the versions for different
> platforms are compiled from one and the same source code. To the best of
> my knowledge, the only difference between platforms is the default
> display_gamma setting. IIRC you have both a Mac and a PC, so why not try
> it yourself?

I thought about doing so, but unfortunately my "old" PowerMac will run no
POV version later than 3.1...so say the POV docs, anyway...so it wouldn't be
a true, representative test.
(Well, to be honest, I haven't actually tried downloading the 3.6 Mac
version to see if it WOULD work.  Might give it a try anyway; thanks for
the push!)

So from what you said, I can safely assume that  "porting" the POV source
code to different platforms doesn't introduce any "changes." Good to know.

Ken