POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems with CAD Data Exchange : Problems with CAD Data Exchange Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with CAD Data Exchange
From: Cesc
Date: 10 Jan 2006 06:25:00
Message: <web.43c39862fba0f59b8e9438ca0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm trying to obtain photorealistic renderings of lighting devices using
POV-ray. Our CAD-System is CATIA IV. To exchange these CAD-Data I do the
following steps:

1. Export the CATIA V4 file as IGES.
2. The IGES file can be directly read from RHINOCEROS.
3. RHINOCEROS is able to export directly in POV-ray file format.
4. Read the POV file from POV-ray

In some cases -specially for simple parts- this works properly, but for
complex geometries, POV-ray prompts the following error message :

"No triangles in triangle mesh".

It seems that in some cases "degenerated" triangles are generated by
RHINOCEROS and lead to an error while trying to read the file. In fact,
eliminating the "problematic" code lines makes the POV-file readable, but
of course some parts of the geometry disapear.

AFAIK this bug is already known in the POV community.
Any idea, how can I exchange my CAD data?

Thanks in advance,

Francesc Dorca