POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Two remaining problems for planetary scenes : Re: Two remaining problems for planetary scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Two remaining problems for planetary scenes
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 9 Jan 2006 10:20:00
Message: <web.43c27e52a38641182fc96790@news.povray.org>
"elegac" <e.l### [at] voilafr> wrote:
> "Bob Hughes" <omniverse@charter%net> wrote:
> > "elegac" <e.l### [at] voilafr> wrote in message
> > >
> > > FIRST PROBLEM:What shoud I put in the finish{} properties of
> > > "planet_texture" to have a good-looking (is that the word) planet?
> >
> > A specular hilight would be something to add for the sunlight to be seen
> > reflected. Mostly for the water, but also a little for land. Something maybe
> > like:  specular 0.05 roughness 0.1
> > You might need to adjust the amount (size) showing for the distance your
> > camera is planned to be located from the planet surface. There's an effect
> > called heiligenschein, or holy light, like a halo created on dewey grass
> > around the shadow of your head but I'm not sure if this is the same thing.
> >

> FIRST PROBLEM: SOLVED!
> It look good now, thanks! Look at
> http://cjoint.com/data/bcoUFJE77o_Earth.jpg
> (I've added an atmosphere with my "atmosphere.inc" include file)
>
> Now let's see the second problem...
>
> Erwan

I have another solution to your problem: use your landmass/water map as a
mask for a texture map (ie pigment pattern)) as follows:

#declare Planet_Land_Texture =
texture {
    pigment {
     image_map {
      jpeg "earthmap.jpg"
         map_type 1 // spherical
         interpolate 2 // pixel blending
     }
    }
    finish {
        // WHATEVER, but, according to me,  land should be kept as it is in
the image.
    }
}

#declare Planet_Water_Texture = texture
{
    // WHATEVER: blue pigment with reflection and/or specular or image map.
}

#declare Planet = sphere
{
    0, 1
    texture
    {
        pigment_pattern // Here is the trick
        {
            image_pattern
            {
                png "earthlandwatermap.png"
                map_type 1
            }
        }
        texture_map
        {
            // Entries may be inverted according to the way
"earthlandwatermap.png" encodes land and water. Here, zeros are for land
and ones for water (threshold set to 0.5).
            [0.5 Planet_Land_Texture]
            [0.5 Planet_Water_Texture]
        }
    }