POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur : Re: MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur Server Time
13 May 2024 21:05:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 1.2.1 and reflection blur
From: GP70
Date: 5 Jan 2006 10:55:00
Message: <web.43bd4016e28d25494d24a2b10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I'm afraid that's next to impossible.
>
>   The only way in a generic raytracer like povray to get accurate blurred
> reflections is to shoot many rays. There just aren't any better alternatives.
>
>   One alternative is to use an environment map. However, this technique
> has several problems:
- Warp

Yes, I fully agree with you: when I say "efficient" I have in mind something
like applying adaptive methods to shot rays like in area lights objects. I
don't know if this could be useful or not but it's an idea...

Moreover would be necessary to model the fact that normally the blur effect
is maximum when the angle between view and surface normal is minimum and
vice versa... (something like (and also related to) the min/max reflection
amount). Perhaps there is a big amount of physics to consider...

So I will try to look at real objects behaviours to trim the avarage texture
method!

GP