POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion : Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Jan 2006 01:15:00
Message: <web.43bb67a142019f40ae7b276a0@news.povray.org>
I need a definitive, short answer to a core question, to understand
something basic about POV behavior: When running a scene the recommended
way--using an assumed_gamma of 1, and with POV display_gamma equal to
system gamma (2.2)--should an object with a pigment of rgb <.5,.5,.5> and
finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0} ultimately end up in the preview render
glowing at 50% of total possible phosphor intensity or "brightness"?
Assuming that <1,1,1> produces the total brightness that the monitor is set
up to produce, and <0,0,0> produces the proper black level.  Leaving out a
discussion of all the intermediate steps. No light sources either.

Please, don't refer me back to other parts of this discussion, or the POV
docs. I'm looking for a concise answer. It would clarify a lot of things.

I'd especially appreciate an official response from a POV team member.

Ken Walker