POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Two remaining problems for planetary scenes : Two remaining problems for planetary scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Two remaining problems for planetary scenes
From: elegac
Date: 1 Jan 2006 12:55:00
Message: <web.43b816026526bd51c89ad05e0@news.povray.org>
FIRST OF ALL: I am french, so excuse me if my english is not perfect...
I have made a serie of include files to make planetary scenes.
The first and most important file is planet.inc: it declares
"object{planet}". It is a 1 pov-unit radius sphere scaled by the parameter
"planet_dimensions" (for example <6378.1,6356.8,6378.1> for the Earth,
where 6378.1 is the equatorial radius and 6356.8 is the polar one). The
texture is declared by "planet_texture".

FIRST PROBLEM:What shoud I put in the finish{} properties of
"planet_texture" to have a good-looking (is that the word) planet? The only
thing I am sure for now is that the ambient value must be 0.

SECOND PROBLEM:I have two maps, one representing the Earth land mass
topography above the sea (see http://www.space-graphics.com/e43_flat.htm)
and the other representing the Earth global ocean/landmass mask (see
http://www.space-graphics.com/e43_mask.htm). For the second map, the white
represents the oceans and rivers while the black represents the landmass.

I would like the landmass and the oceans to have different finish{}
properties so that only the ocean reflects well the sun.

For the moment I declare the earth texture like that:

#declare planet_texture=texture{
pigment{
image_map{
jpeg "Earth_map.jpg" map_type 1