POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A few problems : A few problems Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  A few problems
From: Nexus
Date: 31 Dec 2005 00:35:00
Message: <web.43b6177e25bf7649bdc77bf40@news.povray.org>
I've just created my first non-tutorial-related scene and I think it's OK
for a first attempt but there's a few things I'd like help on.

The scene is the view from the surface of a small, gray, rocky planet
(modelled with a height field I generated with Fractint). There's also a
yellowish star and a big blue gas planet with a dust ring.

Here's my problems:

1) There's black triangular shadowy bits on the height field that just don't
look right. How do I get rid of them?
2) The star is right in the top right hand corner of the picture and it
looks squashed. I think that's got something to do with the camera but I
have no idea how to fix it.
3) The blue planet has a thin "atmosphere" that I made with a thin spherical
shell containing blue-colored scattering media. The trouble is that the
atmosphere cuts off abruptly and looks awful. How do I get spherical
density_maps to work with scattering media so that the atmosphere drops off
gradually? I can't get them to work at all; POVRay keeps complaining at me
if I try.
4) This one's kind of subtle. The dust ring is also made of scattering media
and circles the entire planet. There is a small region near the night side
of the planet where light scatters from the ring and passes through the
atmosphere but it ends up brown instead of blue. It's as if the atmosphere
is absorbing the blue light from the scattered rays instead of scattering
them again. Is that supposed to happen? and how do I fix it?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Nexus