POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion : Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:33:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 Dec 2005 02:35:00
Message: <web.43b3913d42019f40254a6a0d0@news.povray.org>
I've been going over this entire discussion in my mind in great detail,
which is leading me to some odd conclusions.  But before posting those, I'd
like to ask a question about how POV operates internally:  If my monitor/OS
gamma is set to 2.0 (or even 2.2), and I use assumed_gamma of 1.0 as
recommended, what happens to POV's lighting calculations if I set
display_gamma to 1.0 as well? Such a set-up actually produces the visual
results I like to see. But if I do this, is POV still able to calculate
things the way it's designed to (since assumed_gamma is 1.0)? Or am I still
introducing "gamma abuse" into those calculations? It would *seem* not,
since as I understand matters, display_gamma is only concerned with the
"output" end of POV. But I could be wrong.

Ken