POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Linux VS Xp : Re: Linux VS Xp Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux VS Xp
From: FrogRay
Date: 21 Dec 2005 23:15:01
Message: <web.43aa26f2f1fe677ceca554ff0@news.povray.org>
"Edee" <rah### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I am currently using an Intel Celeron 2.93GHz XP home edition PC with 500MB
> RAM and rendering times are on average one hour for the most basic types of
> scenes involving a dozen objects, especially when transparent surfaces are
> used.  I know there are a number of parameters I can play with to improve
> this but am planning to upgrade.

Your hardware sounds pretty good so I doubt that you need to upgrade unless
you plan on doing something fairly advanced.  It sounds strange that simple
renders are taking as much as an hour although there are many factors that
affect rendering speed.
If you can provide an example of a simple scene that is taking an unusually
long time to render perhaps someone may be able to spot a problem in the
scene.
Remember that media, anti-aliasing, and even the type of lighting that you
are using will make a big difference.  The render-priority setting will
also make a huge difference.

> Is there a significant improvement in rendering time by switching to Linux
> from XP?

My suggestion would be to install a Linux distro that allows you to dual
boot.  Render your scenes under both Xp and Linux and compare the results.