POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion : Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:34:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using assumed_gamma of 1.0 ... a discussion
From: Kenneth
Date: 13 Dec 2005 04:25:01
Message: <web.439e92ee42019f4083bb86110@news.povray.org>
"Ard" <ard### [at] waikatoacnz> wrote:

> - Grapple all your colour values down so the fully-lit pigments look
>   right again.  Squaring them does the trick.  Try out your colour
>   picker: your fully-lit pixels will be as they were with
>   assumed_gamma 2.

YES INDEED, this does work!  I went back to my "linear" POV grey-band test
scene, squared all the RGB values (in effect, making them non-linear), and
the resulting POV render, using assumed_gamma of 1.0, looks exactly the way
it should.

FASCINATING!

So...if I had chosen 2.2 as my overall system gamma (rather than 2.0), then
I would have had to alter each of  my "linear" grey-band values by raising
them to the power of 2.2, rather than just squaring them...to get the same
pleasing visual result.  Correct?

Ken