POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using images as diffuse maps : Using images as diffuse maps Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Using images as diffuse maps
From: ZainAnak
Date: 4 Dec 2005 13:15:00
Message: <web.4393311ed86e519e4114da700@news.povray.org>
Hey all- related to my earlier question on washed out colors is one about
diffuse coloration.  Say I have an asphalt runway in an airport scene.
Here is a photograph example:

http://www.pdkairport.org/Runway%20Incursions/Runway%20Incusion%20Hazard%201%20w%20text.JPG

Well, for certain technical reasons, it's much easier for me to use image
maps for the whole runway than to model out the white painted parts, dark
asphalt parts, etc.  The problem is, when it comes time to light with
sunlight, I can't keep the darks dark and the whites white.  It's usually
one or the other.  I started playing with diffuse values, which, sure
enough, lightened and darkened, but uniformly.  I realized pretty quickly
that if I could feed in my image map into Pov's diffuse calculations,
nearly every pixel in my scene would get appropriate diffusion, courtesy of
the texture I've already designed.  It may be a very easy thing to do in
Pov, it may be more difficult- I have no idea.  Your thoughts and advice
are much appreciated!

-ZA