POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : hexagons : hexagons Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  hexagons
From: Carl
Date: 29 Nov 2005 23:50:00
Message: <web.438d2ecd2b89f37c86f3d1320@news.povray.org>
Hello,

   See image area for picture.  I'm trying to use this image to create a
background of the same color hexagons in POV-Ray.

First problem.  I can use a program like paint to get the colors of each of
the hexagons.  <214,227,240> for example.  I believe I need to divide this
by 256 but even after doing that the hexagon that is drawn isn't the same
color as the one in the image I posted.  Why?  How can I control the color
I get in the rendered image?

I've got a little macro like this and I'm not using light sources:

#macro hex(v1,r1,HexColor)
  #local hexa = prism {linear_sweep linear_spline -1, 1, 7,
   <r1,0>, <r1*cos(radians(60)),r1*sin(radians(60))>,
   <-r1*cos(radians (60)),r1*sin(radians(60))>,
   <-r1,0>, <-r1*cos(radians(60)),-r1*sin(radians(60))>,
   <r1*cos(radians(60)),-r1*sin(radians(60))>, <r1,0>};
    object {hexa
      pigment {rgb HexColor/256}
      finish {ambient 1}
      rotate x*90
      translate v1
    }
#end

Second question... in the past I've seen some really nice images of glowing
boxes posted.  I assumed this was pulled off with radiosity.  I was wanting
to try and make these hexagons glow in a similiar fasion however nothing I
try even comes close to the effects I've seen here before.  I've searched
for the image of the boxes I remember and I can't seem to locate it now.
Could someone point me in the right direction?  This project I hope to turn
into a Christmas gift for someone so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl