POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plant System : Re: Plant System Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:24:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plant System
From: Gena
Date: 24 Nov 2005 23:10:01
Message: <web.43868d9c4cd1f0836a838fb90@news.povray.org>
> With interaction i mean interaction with the scene geometry - a tree
> being limited by a house, a plant growing on a wall etc.
>
> POV-Ray features that can be used could for example be the use of
> patterns to control leaf properties.

That makes sense. I don't know POV-Ray inner architecture
but I think in case of geometry you have to touch many
places in order to make such patch. Maybe it's time to
start learning it :)

I also kept pattern-based logic in mind. That was partially
the reason for SDL :) For example pattern-based distribution,
pattern-based bark etc.

Just to recap our long discussion.
You convinced me that SDL is not so good for coding any advanced
systems :)

Regarding patch or stand-alone I would prefer the latter one. I
understand that you sacrifice all those advantages which POV-Ray
gives you for free. But in return you get freedom to make your
own design/architecture which doesn't depend on POV-Ray design,
freedom in language. Also you don't depend on POV-Ray's development
cycle in particular on version number - after any changes in POV-Ray
you don't have to change your program to be in sync.

How about traditional command-line C++ (or Java) program which
takes properties file as input and generates mesh2 as its output?

Gena.