POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plant System : Re: Plant System Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plant System
From: Gena
Date: 23 Nov 2005 17:15:00
Message: <web.4384e9614cd1f083b04c39280@news.povray.org>
> No, i don't agree here.  You are seriously limited in what techniques
> you can use when implementing a plant system in SDL.  Most part of
> developing a plant generator is not the code generating the actual mesh
> but the underlying stuff generating the plant structure.  Making this
> both flexible and intuitive to use at the same time is the real
> challenge and quite impossible with the limited means of the SDL.

But there are several different tree system implemented already in SDL :)
I think that currently available SDL features would be enough. I don't
state that SDL is ideal for this purpose. The idea of using SDL is just
to attract more developers from POV-Ray community. I can talk many
languages and if there are people who are interested and can talk C++ or
Java we can use it instead of SDL :)

> Oh come on - what is this talk about 'plug-ins' about?  What do they
> make possible that is not possible right now?

I meant that now you have to write patch and recompile the whole
program rather than just write plug-in for it.

> Well - the idea of a patch is not to have the user code in C to use it.
>     The best approach IMO is to have a fairly low level interface to SDL
> that allows very flexible use but have the actual plant generation
> internally for good performance.

Could you clarify what you mean?

Gena.