POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Linux gamma driving me nuts : Linux gamma driving me nuts Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Linux gamma driving me nuts
From: Ard
Date: 10 Nov 2005 20:45:00
Message: <web.4373f7155849a475ed802ab30@news.povray.org>
Learned friends, I have been working on a scene for what seems like all my
life, and have always viewed the resulting PNGs in POV's previewer, qiv,
ImageMagick's display, the Gimp, and Eye of Gnome.  All of these display my
scene as I expect.

To my dismay, my PNGs are far too bright in Firefox, Mozilla, and IE.

ImageMagick says the gamma in my PNGs is 1.0, no matter what I set my
assumed_gamma setting.  When I use the same POV binary to render the POV
example scenes, such as  biscuit.png and benchmark.png, the gamma in the
output PNG is 0.45455 (1/2.2).

biscuit.png and benchmark.png look the same all applications.  I use the
official 3.6.1 binary.

I'm clearly doing something wrong.  The gamma in output PNGs should change
with assumed_gamma, no?  Someone please slap me, because if this carries on
I shall have to switch to JPEG.

Many, many thanks in advance.