POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to extract the fifth value of a 5D vector? : How to extract the fifth value of a 5D vector? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  How to extract the fifth value of a 5D vector?
From: Roman Reiner
Date: 28 Oct 2005 08:30:01
Message: <web.43621989499ae6d9c0c113bc0@news.povray.org>
I found a little "problem" (with solution) that i'd like to share with you.
According to the reference Pov-Ray supports 5D-Vectors but there seems to be
no way to extract the fifth value (directly) or am i missing something? the
first four values can be extracted with .x .y .z and .t and thats it!?
I managed to handle with this problem with the following piece of code:

//start of code

#include "math.inc"

#declare someVector = <0,3,2,1,5>;
#declare value1 = someVector.x;
#declare value2 = someVector.y;
#declare value3 = someVector.z;
#declare value4 = someVector.t;

#declare value5 = VLength5D(someVector-<value1,value2,value3,value4,0>);

//end of code

Is this really the only possibility? Isn't it somehow silly to support
5D-Vectors without supporting a fifth dot-operater to get this additional
value?

Greetings Roman