POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadow on alpha channel? : Re: Shadow on alpha channel? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadow on alpha channel?
From: zachrahan
Date: 20 Oct 2005 11:50:01
Message: <web.4357bc3c156283a435162b020@news.povray.org>
Thanks for clarifying the best material to use for the "shadow catcher"
surface. That seems to do the trick!

> Yes, I think this is generally the process suggested (even in the links you
> posted).

I agree -- the process I suggest above is heavily-derived from those links I
found.

I think the above method will be slightly easier than (as suggested in the
first link) rendering the shadows with an orthographic camera and then
mapping that texture (partially transparently) onto the shadow-catching
surface -- it involves less scene-changing. It's also important to remember
to combine the original alpha channel with the shadow alpha channel,
instead of using the latter as the sole alpha (as suggested in the second
link). I just figured I'd be explicit, in case anyone else wound up looking
at this thread for reference later.

(Also, note that the second link appears garbled in my web browser. Here it
is again, for reference:
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C4184d1c3$1@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=216442&toff=50
)