POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rollin Rollin Rollin : Rollin Rollin Rollin Server Time
5 Jul 2024 11:10:22 EDT (-0400)
  Rollin Rollin Rollin
From: Bathurstfreak
Date: 16 Oct 2005 00:10:01
Message: <web.4351cf788fdf4054f5c315de0@news.povray.org>
Though the streets are swollen... kidding

NO, my latest iteration on the rolling balls and chutes.

Instead of basing the position of the ball at a node and weighting the
supports so they occur every 2 metres, I decided to fix the track segments
at 0.25m, have supports every 2m and weight the position of the ball. This
enabled me to inbuild classic physics within the code for velocity
acceleration, and what I think is a first for animations, taking into
account drag on a rolling ball, of course none of this would be any benefit
if it didn't allow the model to run backwards, so I had to build in an if
statement that reduced the test point if velocity was negative so that the
ball would roll back down the ramp from where it came.

All this too opens up the possibility for a true rollercoaster that only
starts accelerating halfway down a hill when the last car makes it over a
crest.

James

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: