POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : (seed) could use a better explanation : (seed) could use a better explanation Server Time
19 Apr 2024 00:40:16 EDT (-0400)
  (seed) could use a better explanation
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Oct 2005 15:45:00
Message: <web.4346cfc1e586756ca0ad5af90@news.povray.org>
I'm somewhat new to these newsgroups, so please excuse me if this topic has
been covered in depth before.

The description of SEED in the POV docs still has me scratching my head
about some things.  I USE it, all the time, but I don't really understand
what exactly it does. Perhaps this question belongs elsewhere in the
newsgroups, but a better explanation in the docs could ease the pain!

My questions are these:
1) For each and every individual number that is placed into SEED (------),
does POV create an entirely NEW and DIFFERENT psuedo-random stream of
numbers for RAND to choose from?

OR

2) When invoking SEED, does POV first create ONE SINGLE LONG psuedo random
stream of numbers (the "random" values of which depend on the host computer
and OS it's running on)? And does the individual number then placed into
SEED simply choose a different LOCATION within this single long stream, for
RAND to start with?